Director Ground-based instrumentation
- Andøya Space
- Director Ground-based instrumentation
Andøya Space is offering a variety of services to scientific, industrial and space related institutions. One important backbone of those services is a set of instruments monitoring the meteorological situation at Andøya (now-casting), relevant parameters of the present space situation (space weather) and dedicated scientific instrumentation, hosted at ALOMAR.
ALOMAR is an advanced laboratory, specialized on passive and active optical remote sensing of all layers in the Arctic atmosphere; in particular LiDAR observations. ALOMAR hosts research instruments owned by institutions from several countries.
Andøya Space enables international scientists to explore all layers of the Arctic atmosphere with several LiDAR instruments from its vantage point on top of the Ramnan mountain at Andøya. The observatory features an iconic and easily recognizable shape designed to minimize the effects of wind to provide an optimum environment for the LiDAR instrumentation.
The research performed at Alomar contributes to an increasing number of scientific publications and thesis and has supported countless sounding rocket missions. While the sounding rockets ensure the in-situ snapshot of the atmosphere, the instruments at Alomar have provided remote sensing of the same area, giving scientists both a closer look and a broader view at the same time.
The department is supposed to continue to be a part of the European research networks for atmosphere research and environmental monitoring (e.g. ACTRIS and EARLINET). Ambitions for new own initiatives and new co-operations are welcome.
Working tasks/responsibilitiesThe successful applicant will join executive management of the division “Science and Technology” within Andøya Space, responsible for “Ground based instrumentation”. The office is located at the ALOMAR Observatory.
- Department management, responsibility for budget and personnel.
- Technical expertise for the development and improvement of existing or new scientific instrumentation (optical and electronical) owned by Andøya Space.
- Initiate, plan and lead the development of the Tropospheric LiDAR in cooperation with national and international partners.
- Maintain and develop international connections and networks in atmospheric research.
Active participation in applicable national and international conferences and forums.
- Close co-operation with the departments Sounding Rockets, R&D and Engineering within the division.
Qualification - Education
We are seeking an applicant with:
- Master level knowledge in atmospheric (space-) physics. A relevant PhD is appreciated, but not mandatory.
- Dedication for atmosphere and climate research in Arctic regions.
- LiDAR experience is appreciated
- The applicant is expected to be able to express himself well both orally and in writing and to have good negotiating skills in English; Norwegian is an asset but not essential.
- The applicant must be eligible to obtain a Norwegian security clearance.
- Regular driver’s license.
- ALOMAR’s location on a mountain top might in some exceptions require to walk up or down, due to poor weather conditions. The 45 min walk should rather be a pleasure for you than a burden.
We are looking for colleagues with dedication and expertise, who can identify themselves with the company values:
Collaborative, Innovative, Uncompromising
- We work closely together with our customers and partners. We believe collaboration is the key to achieve mission success.
- Doing the impossible excites us, and we turn every stone to bring a project to completion. The answer to a challenge might not be the obvious one and we want to foster an environment where ideas and suggestions can flourish.
- In aerospace one often only get one chance. The key to success is quality and safety. We are flexible in all areas except those two.
We offerAndøya Space is a stimulating international working environment, within an active local community, on an island providing many opportunities for outdoor pursuits. Salary is by agreement, pension and insurance arrangements, Andøya Space supports flexible working hours, we assist newcomers find housing and we may provide support for relocation costs. The position is subject to a standard six-month probationary period.
Andøya Space is a Norwegian aerospace company. We enable scientists to explore Earth’s atmosphere with sounding rockets, balloons, unmanned aircraft and advanced ground-based instrumentation. We enable engineers to test new aerospace and defense related technology. We educate and inspire the next generation scientists and engineers. We are now working to establish Norway’s - and Europe’s - launch facility for small satellites.
- Bleiksvegen 46, 8480 Andenes
Director, Ground-based, instrumentation
|Sist endret||8. mar. 2021 14:00|