Expedition Guide - Environmental Scientist in Hurtigruten Expeditions
- Hurtigruten Sjø AS
- Expedition Guide - Environmental Scientist in Hurtigruten Expeditions
To fulfill this ambition, we are looking for highly motivated Environmental Scientist to be part of our expedition teams.
The Environmental Scientist is part of the Expedition Team onboard each ship, and reports to the Expedition Leader onboard.
Duties and responsibilities
- Deliver destination-specific lectures and other presentations based on your area of expertise covering Geology, Glaciology, Climate and Sustainability as well as destination-specific “core” lectures when requested.
- Be fully knowledgeable of the destinations and prepared to give short presentations on points of interest both onboard and ashore.
- With your passion for Geology, Climate, Environment and Sustainability you will also have valuable input on how the experience of earth related matters for your guests can be improved. You will collaborate closely with the Science Coordinator.
- You will be driving expedition boats, after successful completion of a company training course.
- You will be carrying out duties as a wildlife guard (e.g., Polar Bear, Black Bear, Muskox) and carry a firearm, after successful completion of a company training course.
- Interpret surroundings (ice, geology, history, wildlife) for guests while ashore even if it is not your core expertise.
- Assist with landing procedures ashore and accompany guests on shore excursions.
- You will be communicating with your counterpart boarding as needed either by email or in person to facilitate a smooth and effective handover.
- You will also assist with general onboard day-to-day duties as required by the Expedition Leader.
- You function as a role model for your team members in always helping others.
- Undergraduate degree in Earth Sciences (Geology), Environmental Sciences, Glaciology from a recognized university
- Essential to speak and write fluent English, therefore the application must be completed in English.
- Desirable to speak fluent German, French, or a Scandinavian language.
- Desirable to have qualifications or relevant experience in polar boating and operations in areas where polar bears are found.
- The successful candidate will need to obtain the following certificates before boarding. STCW certificates at your own expense (but you do not need them to apply for this position):
- Health certificate for sea (Norwegian Seafarers Medical)
- Basic safety training (STCW)
- Crowd and crisis management (STCW)
- Security Awareness for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties (STCW)
- You come to life and cannot hold your enthusiasm when you see rocks or are asked a provocative climate question. Earth Dynamics, whether atmosphere, surface, or deep below are your passion, and you strive to explain them in an understandable fashion
- You take all opportunities to engage guests with passion about your subject matter and expertise, both onboard and ashore. Storytelling is second nature to you.
- As a people person you will quickly form close working relationships with your team members and other departments.
- You are a quick learner, and patient
- You take initiative and have a proactive and creative nature.
- You have the ability to share your energy and enthusiasm with guests and team even in adverse situations.
- You are capable of working under stressful conditions.
We can offer
- An exciting job with one of the strongest brands within expedition tourism
- A unique opportunity to explore the Arctic, the Antarctic and other destinations.
- Challenging and interesting work with an expedition team and travellers who share your desire to learn and explore.
- A job that will broaden your competencies and knowledge as you work with a diverse team and across many activities.
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Rotation 4-6 weeks on, 4-6 weeks off (on average depending on the vessel)
- Staff rates on all our ships for you, your family and close friends
- A permanent job
- Fredrik Langes gate 14, 9008 Tromsø
- Reise og turisme
Geology, Science, Glaciology, polar, boating
Spørsmål om stillingen
- Steffen Biersack
- Expedition Leader
- Ylva Grams
- Expedition Staffing Manager
718 følger dette firmaet
Fredrik Langes gate 14, 9008 Tromsø
|Sist endret||5. jul. 2021 08:48|