3D image analysis for improved cattle genetics
- Geno SA
- Industrial PhD
- Frist utløpt
Geno, the Norwegian dairy cattle breeding organization, in collaboration with The Norwegian Colour and Visual Computing Laboratory at NTNU (Gjøvik) are inviting applications for a 3 years industrial PhD position.
The industrial PhD candidate will work in close collaboration with the project “New traits in pigs and in cattle based on 3D imaging technology”, which is a project owned by GENO SA, Norsvin SA, Tyr in addition to NTNU and University of Auckland (NZ). The aim of the PhD-project is to develop automatic routines for image analysis to extract features out of 3D images of cattle. The long-term goal of this effort is to develop even better genetics for health and efficient resource utilization in cattle.
3D cameras in combination with computer vision has the potential to replace the manual registration system, currently used for collecting data on animal growth and functionality. Raw data from 3D cameras is noisy and contains sparse data points. In addition, the objects of interest might be rotated in relation to each other and are represented by different number of pixels. Hence, there is a need to create point correspondence; i.e. a map that explains what pixel values represent the same morphological features across animals. This requires the development of robust computational algorithms, able to extract quantitative traits out of an image representing the surface of the animal. In the collaborative project group there are people working on similar activities, and development of relevant code has started already.
What we offer:
- A cross-disciplinary research team, consisting of experts in computer vision, statistics, genetics and animal science.
- A unique dataset with large amounts of novel data captured by purpose-made 3D-camera devices. The breeding organizations have already started routine collection of data.
- As this is an industrial-PhD, you would work with relevant business issues, and there is a small step between research and implementation
- A master’s degree (with minimum B grade) in relevant field (e.g. data science, image analysis, statistics, mathematics)
- Good programming skills (e.g. Python, R, bash)
- Experience with machine learning, cloud storage and computation.
- Good cooperation and communication skills
- English language proficiency
- Structured and flexible
Geno SA is the breeding organization for Norwegian Red (NRF) dairy cattle. Geno's breeding program is based on continuous research and development in the areas of breeding, genetics, fertility and artificial insemination. Geno is owned by 8500 Norwegian dairy farmers and has approximately 200 employees. Geno exports semen to more than 30 countries and has an annual revenue of about 375 million NOK. The head office is in Hamar, Norway. For further information about the position, please contact Øyvind Nordbø (+47-91344102), researcher in Geno or Prof. Faouzi Alaya Cheikh (+47-95187956), NTNU, Gjøvik.
- Storhamargt. 44,
- 2317 Hamar
- Forskning, utdanning og vitenskap,
- Jordbruk og skogbruk
statistics, 3D modelling, PhD-project, machine learning
- Sist endret
- 18. jun 2019 13:36
Spørsmål om stillingen
- Faouzi Alaya Cheikh
- 951 87 956
Storhamargt. 44, 2317 Hamar
- Sist endret
- 18. jun 2019 13:36